Tuesday, April 8, 2014

March

We started the month off with a bang by going to see Brian Regan at the Energy Solutions Arena.  Matt and I went with Amber & Kevin Crowell and Kristin & Troy Diederich.  Such a fun night with fabulous company!

I was in charge of a literature day at Vanguard for Lauren's co-op this month.  We read the book "Homecoming" which is about four children who are abandoned by their mentally ill mother.  They band together and walk across the east coast to find relatives they can live with.  The sequel to this book, "Dicey's Song" was one of my favorite books in 5th grade.  Anywho... to tie into the book, I asked the Homeless Youth Resource Center to come give a short presentation to our group about what services they offer and what challenges homeless youth face.  After the presentation, our group did a service project and helped the HYRC put together their yearly mailers.  It was a great activity.


I'm sure everyone is loving this weather as much as I am.  I got two huge blisters from working in the yard on one of the first nice days of the year.  Those blisters are totally worth it for fresh air, sunshine and exercise I received.  Of course, spying the fruits of my labors in the form of these gorgeous daffodils make it all worthwhile as well.  Ahhhh spring!

Random pictures on my phone.  The first pic is Owen with his pb&cc smiley face sandwich (he requested the photo).  Toasted, open-face peanut butter and chocolate chip sandwiches are a daily occurrence around here - oh my yumminess!  The final picture is my homemade wheat bread; a blessing and a curse in my life.  Dang, I'm getting good at making it, but dang, I can't stop at just one piece!  Remember the picture I showed you of my beloved Blendtec a while back?  I use it to grind the wheat berries into flour for the bread - I cannot tell you what a difference in taste it is compared to (cough *rancid) store bought flour.

DCYHA year end hockey party!!  Will and Owen both received trophies and were super psyched about it.  Will wasn't interested in playing this sport next year but he changed his mind when he realized he'd get a trophy.  I think you all saw the video I posted of Will skating at this party - it makes me happy every time I watch it.  Just in case you haven't viewed it yet, he's skating in the midst of a bunch of boys and dads skating hard and/or passing the puck to each other.  He's completely oblivious to the hockey and he's skate-dancing to the music; totally epic.

We had the pleasure of having this cute girl, Audrey, over for a playdate toward the end of the month.  She and Owen decided at the first of the year that they're going to get married so I had to snap this photo for their future wedding video. ;-)  I also took a video of them singing along with a Bruno Mars song... that's the difference between child #1 and child #4... Bradley was singing Raffi and Sesame Street while Owen is singing pop hits.

Fort making in the backyard - totally dirty but totally fun.


Lauren's had a couple of movie nights this month.  The first one was with her Vanguard group and they watched "Newsies"  (Ahhh, Christian Bale - Amy, you've got a thing for him, right?!) and this picture below is with some friends that are getting together monthly to watch all the Disney princess movies and rewrite the stories so the hero is the princess.  Cute teens.











 



2 comments:

  1. Oh so fun.:) Wish I could see the pictures...my computer is stupid as Logan will tell you ten times a day.:))
    I love homemade wheat bread too, I have an amazing ly moist recipe that Anndee's mom gave me: Yummo!
    I love that each of your kids are so different, it takes all kinds to make a family right?
    Yay for sun and warm weather!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. -Brian Regan..fun!
    -What a cool idea you had for the book/service project that Lauren did. You rock!
    -Owie blisters! Beautiful flowers! I love Spring!
    -Homemade wheat bread...yum! We've started to make it every Sunday, and I can't resist it either.
    -I loved the video of Will dancing, he cracks me up!
    -Fort building was my favorite thing to do growing up! That's an experience every child should have.
    -And it sounds like Lauren is making some good friends. Hooray!

    ReplyDelete