Tuesday, September 2, 2014

June - The other stuff

After we got back from our Zions trip we jumped right into the fun of summer.  Will and Owen took a tennis class through Layton City.  Of course, this picture of Will on the playground AFTER his tennis lesson is the only thing I got to document their class.
Lauren took a Write On! camp at Westminster college again.  She loved it!!  Like the tennis camp, I have no pictures.  I do, however, have pictures of an adventure I did with the rest of the kids on one of the days after we dropped her off.  We ate at Bruges' Waffles in Sugarhouse.
Then, we drove to Thanksgiving Point and met up with Jackie and her kids at the Museum of Curiosity.  Thank you so much for suggesting it Jack, all of my kids want to go again.  So fun!!!
 
When we picked up Lauren, I wanted her to get in on some of the fun for that day so I took the kids to Mini's cupcakes in SLC.   I'd driven past it a week or so ago with Matt and we noticed that this bakery was the winner of "Cupcake Wars" on the Food Network - I was dying to try them.  The cupcakes look fabulous but they were really small and dry.  Although we were disappointed with the treats, we loved adding the stop to our list of fun summer adventures.
One cool Saturday morning I decided to bike with the kids to the movies.  Will and Owen were the only willing accomplices and so we set off for the Farmington Station theatre.  We saw "How to Train Your Dragon 2" and had some delicious Cherry Berry froyo.  The boys did amazing on the 14 mile round trip ride - I was so proud of them and we all had a great time!
Miscellaneous summer fun.  I love how close Will and Owen are with one another.  They're best buds.  The second picture shows our shade tent over the sandbox.  That was a genius idea while it lasted... a huge windstorm blew the tent over the fence and now it's crumpled beyond repair.  Boo.
Lauren got the bug to bake a fun recipe she found online.  It's a campfire theme and I think it represents a book she read (Hunger Games related maybe??)  She made it completely by herself, including the hard candy she placed on the top to make a "fire."  It tasted as good as it looked.  Oh, and that shirt she's wearing is from her writer's camp that I mentioned previously.
We've been trying to be more active on Sundays (instead of coming home from church and just napping or doing screens) so we planned a variety of short hikes to do as a family.  The first set of pictures is our hike to Suicide Rock (it's at the base of Parley's Canyon; the junction of I-80 and I-215).  The actual hike was pretty urban so it was nice to do something different than normal.  I don't think it's one we'd clamor to do again but it was great to cross it off the list.


This next hike was awesome for families with small kids.  It was a mile round trip with a huge waterfall as payoff!  It's south of Little Cottonwood canyon and I think the waterfall is called Rocky Mouth.  Great, short hike!
And I'd like to close out our June post with a picture of my favorite yogis practicing their triangle poses... I love those guys.  Namaste!

2 comments:

  1. It is great how many things you guys cram into a week! You make me feel like a super-slacker! :))
    I also love how many creative opportunities and outlets Lauren has to develop her talents and interests and that you make sure she gets to them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun mom you are. I am getting hungry looking at all those yummy treats. Love the Yoga pose.:) I'm glad your family stayed so busy this summer.

    ReplyDelete