Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Epiphany

I just got back from getting an oil change. As I pulled into the garage, a handsome young man guided me into place then led me to the waiting area. After I'd been waiting for a few minutes, this young man came in and asked me if I used to teach at Knowlton Elementary. My heart skipped a beat and I scanned my brain trying to figure out how I knew this person... "yes," I finally replied. He then said, "I think you were my teacher Mrs. Green, I'm Daniel." He went on to tell me that he graduated last year, is waiting to send in his mission papers and then he's off to college.

I cannot describe all the emotions that are going on inside me right now. I don't think I ever would have recognized this boy - he's BIG now! All of my third graders have somehow been stuck in my mind as eight year olds. I feel old.

For the past few years I was pretty sure I wouldn't ever go back to teaching, now I'm excited at the future prospect.

Most importantly, this experience made me reflect on how fast time with my own children is going by; I was pregnant with Bradley (now 9) the year I taught Daniel's class. I have renewed desire to make the most of each moment that I have with my kids. I want to enjoy the crazy time I'm in and look back with few regrets...

because it's passing by quickly.

5 comments:

  1. That's neat Heidi. You were such a great teacher. I'm sure that you made a big impact upon him even if you never know how much. It really puts into perspective how fast time flies. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Life does go by soooo fast! We really need to enjoy it while we can! I bet you were an awesome teacher! I ran into one of my past students the other day and she had 3 kids! They were the age my kids were when I taught her! Makes you think a little huh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Heidi, I can't believe that it has been that long. It is amazing how fast time goes by. The times when your kids are being kids need to be appreciated, because when they are 16 and driving away, you will miss them wanting you to read them a story. I will be the first to admit, I didn't appreciate the little things like all of the older ladies told me to. It never seems like it will end, and then it does. Sunrise, Sunset....Sunrise, Sunset:).

    ReplyDelete
  4. That must seem so wierd and make you feel old! I bet you were such a wonderful teacher. That seriously seems impossible, though ...your students are going on missions and all. WOW.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I can't believe that he was that old. It doesn't seem like it was that long ago that you were teaching. It's crazy how fast things change. I'm glad you were able to look back to your teaching days with such fondness. You really are a great teacher.

    ReplyDelete