Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Summer - Week #3

This week we had the Miner's home in Springdale, just outside of Zion's National Park, all to ourselves.  We headed down on Wednesday (June 26) because Bradley was trying out for a lacrosse team on Monday & Tuesday (he made the team) and Will had a cub scout day camp at Fife on Tuesday.  We had no firm plans for when to come home, we thought it would be fun to spend the 4th on vacay... just flying by the seat of our pants.

Thursday (June 27) was spent hanging out in the pool, reading, and playing games while Matt went to his St. George office and worked.  We all read a lot on this trip but I think I was the "most improved" reader of the week... I finished 3 books! The kids all read about that many too, but like I said, most improved. 

Friday (June 28) we rented tubes and floated down the Virgin river.  No pictures, but this was much more fun than either Matt or I (not sure about the kids) anticipated.  There were a lot of really fun mini rapids we went through on our tubes.  We'd love to do this again on a higher water year.  Anyone want to join us?  On a side note - you had to be six years old to do the tubing so we had Owen fudge his age.  Will was really concerned that we teach everyone not to lie but then we changed it up and had Owen stretch the truth.  Ah nuts, I guess we screwed up on that life lesson.

Saturday (June 29) we went hiking to the Lower Emerald Pool/Falls.  This was one of the only hikes we didn't do with the kids last year - it's paved, short, and I think they enjoyed it.
After our first hike we went back to the lodge to rest in the shade, eat snacks and ice cream cones, and regain our energy for our main hike of the day - the Riverside Walk and the Narrows.  Now many of you all know this day just happened to be part of the crazy, hot, record breaking heat wave that came through the state (in fact, all of our days were a part of it - I think we hit 110 every day).  The Emerald hike was early enough in the morning that we felt all right (there was whining but we handled it okay) BUT the walk up the Riverside trail just about did us in.  We were all super cranky and it was all I could do to keep my cool.  Matt recognized I was turning into "Ornery Mom" and tried to crack jokes and keep the kids distracted but they were all feeling about as (un)happy as me.  That is, everyone was unhappy UNTIL... we hopped off the trail and into the river.  We couldn't believe how instant our transformation from irritable to elated was once we'd cooled off in the water - holy cow, it was amazing!  Matt started it all by egging everyone to hop in the water and he'd give them a treat; nobody acted on it.  While they all debated who was going to go in first I tromped past them all and got in.  Ahhhh!!  The yucky day turned around and smiles were nonstop for the next hour or two that we played in the river.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 Bradley was the only one who wasn't an instant convert to jumping in.  Matt tried to loosen him up by doing armpit farts (below, center).  It wasn't 100% successful but about 1/2 hour later we did see the submersion and smile in the bottom right photo.  Will found a cool stick that he wanted to bring home.  Not wanting to be outdone, Owen and Lauren found one too.  None of the sticks actually made it home.  I wonder how they could've ever gotten misplaced? ;)

Sunday morning (June 30) we hopped in the car and drove a couple of hours to the North Rim of Grand Canyon.  On the way we passed Colorado City (Matt and Bradley had a heyday making polygamist jokes) and we also spotted Smokey the Bear (my kids didn't know who he is - what?!)

We took some pics, ate lunch, and the kids did some activities to become Junior Park Rangers.  Doing the program was Owen's #1 priority on the trip, he lost his badge from the year before.  He was so excited to get his new badge until he realized that the Grand Canyon badge is a different shape from the Zion badge... now getting another Zion badge will be the priority for next time. ;)





Afterwards, we took a quick hike to a gorgeous viewpoint of the canyon.
 

Monday morning (July 1) Matt and I woke early and headed up to Angel's Landing while the kids slept in.  Bradley and Matt did this hike last year but the last time I hiked it was 18 years ago on the trip that I got engaged to that hunk-a burnin' love of mine.  The hike was steep and I felt old and out of shape at times BUT, it turns out we totally rocked it!  The guide magazine tells you the average trip takes 5 hours - we knocked it out in about 2 1/2.  I don't think I did it that fast 18 years ago... so much for old age!  The picture below left is just before the crazy ascent to the peak, the middle pic is Matt working at the top (we get to do lots of travel and have a lot of fun but phone calls are always a part of it; easy trade-off, imo), the pic on the right is Matt and I at the top.



And although it seems like our entire vacation was filled with lots of hiking and fabulous activities, take a look at the pictures below:

This is actually what most of our time consisted of.  It was SO hot that our activities could really only be enjoyed in the morning or evening.  During the heat of the day, even the pool wasn't refreshing.  And although they did read books and play a few games, it really drove Matt and I crazy to see the kids playing so much screen time - they get enough of that at home!  
In addition, it seems like the more screen time our kids get, the crabbier they are to one another.  On that note, we decided to cut our trip short and come home a bit early.

On Tuesday (July 2) we took one last hike with Will in the morning.  Will was the only kid Matt and I invited - he had a good attitude the whole trip and was really the only one who would've wanted to go.  We hiked the Canyon Overlook trail: 
 
 

After the hike we hustled back to the Miners to shower, clean, and pack so we could leave before noon.  The kids were bummed that we were coming home but Matt and I were ready to get back to normal life.  It was actually a bit of a blessing that we hurried home because Owen was miserable on the ride home with a high fever.  He couldn't get comfortable until I climbed in the backseat with him and he abandoned his seatbelt in favor of sleeping across the bench with his head cradled in my lap.  It turns out that Owen wasn't the only one who caught the bug - the next day Matt and I were flat on our backs and on Thursday (the 4th of July) it moved on to Bradley. :(
  
This wasn't the best of our getaways but looking back on it, we did create some great memories.  Yea for our generous friends the Miners who let us stay in their home, yea for surviving the heat, yea for the kids seeing the Grand Canyon for the first time, yea that none of us are sick anymore.  :) 

3 comments:

  1. What a fun trip. I love that you jumped on into the river. What a great idea. I would have been onery mom as well.:) Too bad you all got sick. I wonder if it was heat exhaustion or something? Great to see all the fun pics. Love you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow I don't even know where to begin...information overload:)).
    I am glad that you had a good time on your vacation...you are troopers to even venture down South this time of year in my opinion:). Sad that everyone got sick though:(.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you were the first one to jump in the water. You're so awesome! I'm sorry that it was so hot and your trip didn't turn out as good as you had hoped. It does look like you had a few good moments though. And I don't think I knew that Matt proposed to you on a hike. I think I need the story. :) How awesome that you got to go back and that you rocked it. Way to go! And I'm sorry you all got sick. Good thing you were home when it happened.

    ReplyDelete