Monday, July 8, 2013

Summer - Week #2

This was a very full week...  Lauren has been really wanting to take a writing camp for a while so we signed her up and this was the week she went.  The camp was from 1-4 PM each weekday at Westminster College.  The first day I took her I had Bradley watch the boys for the afternoon so I could make sure I knew my timing, where I was going, etc without any extra stress.  While she was at the camp I went shopping alone at City Creek; ahhhhh.  The rest of the week I planned for the kids to come along and we went on adventures while she wrote up a storm.

Tuesday:  We'd planned to go to the fountains at Liberty Park but Bradley wanted to check out Dick's for some street hockey sticks so we went to the Gateway fountains instead.  These pics are a bit deja-vu from two posts ago when we went there with Owen and Sam but I love seeing those two brothers have fun with one another.
 After the Gateway we headed over to Liberty Park for a little more fun.  The kids rode a few (rickety/scary) rides and then we rented a paddle boat.  I love Liberty Park.
**Tuesday night Lauren tried out for a performance group.  She had to memorize a solo (she chose "I'm Gonna Wash That Man...") and a monologue (she did Alice falling down the rabbit hole) and she learned some broadway choreography.  She's been preparing for a while and I'm so proud of her.  She did not make the group (the advisor told her before hand that she wouldn't; she's too young and she should just do it for the experience) but she had a great time and learned a lot.**

Wednesday:  Matt met up with us and we went to the zoo.  Owen's orange headwear is a neckerchief Matt brought home from a road rally fundraiser he went on with work.  Most of the people in the rally ride their motorcycles; Matt and a few friends ride in a comfortable, air-conditioned car... although they do open the sun roof.  ;)  You can tell in some photos that Owen is near his breaking point.  He was hot, tired, whiny, wanted to be carried, etc.  He found this stuffed polar bear and really wanted it.  I normally don't cave for stuff like, especially when the kids are complaining, but boy am I glad we did in this case.  Owen named his bear "Pola-lovey" and it gave him the biggest second wind.  His demeanor and attitude turned on a dime and he has been cuddling that bear nonstop ever since.

  And to end the zoo portion of this post, here are the obligatory gorilla, fountain, and water ball photos:



Thursday: Clark Planetarium (Jackie's family gave our family a season pass for Christmas - so fun!)  Take a look at the picture below.  When did Bradley get THAT much taller than me?!?

The night after the Planetarium we went to the trout farm for Will's Pack Meeting.  The boys loved catching fish!!

Friday: SLC Arts Festival.  I have been wanting to go to this for years but I was underwhelmed.  It may have been because we were all dog tired by the end of the week but I was expecting it to be more granola/artsy and less commercialized.

This was the kids' favorite part of the day - strawberry & brownie shish kabobs.


 The festival was by the SLC Library so we ventured around the amazing building.  I got a huge kick out of riding the glass elevator (below left pic).  My kids weren't all that impressed by the elevator or by my "chocolate factory" jokes - what?!  Bradley, however, really appreciates the architecture of the library and it was fun to see him enjoying it.

And now, we are all officially exhausted!

No comments:

Post a Comment